Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Terrified? Yes. Determind? Absolutely.


Today I received a text from Heide that instilled a unique combination of excitement and terror in my soul. “I GOT MY VISA!!” Upon reading this text, I called my mother and sure enough, my approved visa was waiting for me at my parent’s house.  It shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone that I am terrified of going to India.  (It’s usually the first thing out of my mouth when someone asks me about our upcoming trip.)  But this time was different.  Getting our visas approved was (hopefully) the very last big obstacle Heide and I needed to overcome to ensure this mission was going to happen.  I started thinking to myself….we have our plane tickets, we now have our approved visas, we have some of our supplies, and we are almost done fundraising.  This was the first time it hit me.  I’M ACTUALLY GOING TO SPEND TEN VERY DIFFICULT AND VERY LIFE CHANGING WEEKS IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY, DOING GOD’S WILL. 

What kind of crazy people would do such a thing?
Oh that’s right….
Heidemarie and I.

When I got home, I lay down on my bed and tried to compose my racing thoughts and calm my nerves.  I looked over at my nightstand and saw the book about India that Heide had given me three days before.  I hadn’t looked through it yet (I’m not sure if I was too nervous or too busy) so I cracked it open to take a peek.  Let’s just say what I read didn’t do much to calm my nerves.

“ Around 25% of travelers to India will develop a respiratory infection that starts as a virus and is exacerbated by environmental conditions such as pollution….

“ Many female travelers experience sexual harassment in India – predominantly lewd comments and an invasion of privacy…..”

“ India has a number of armed groups fighting for increased political representation….”

As you can probably guess…I started to panic a little bit as I was reading this.  Then I remembered something…..GOD LOVES ME.  I was instantly calmed and filled with a strong sense of peace as I realized God wouldn’t be asking this of Heidemarie and I if He weren’t sure we could handle it.  We are answering His call to serve and if it were easy…it wouldn’t be a sacrifice.  I am 100% correct in thinking that this summer is going to be difficult.  I am about to be tested like I have never been tested before.  This experience is going to be life changing.   But I have no reason to be afraid.  He is watching over us and this is part of His plan. 

Isaiah 41:10So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Please keep us in your prayers, we are praying for you :)

PEACE,
Eli and Heide.

Fundraising Products
powered by:
Easy Fundraising Ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment