Saturday, August 4, 2012

Salted Biscuits and Sprite

**Our best intentions don't jive with reality - they started turning off the internet connection between 5pm - 9am, so we haven't been able to post blogs daily (even though we've written them)... It'll all work out in the end though :) **

As you may or may not know, Eli and I have not enjoyed perfect health throughout this summer. Over the course of these 9 weeks, we've each been sick 3 times, including the virus that I'm almost gotten over.

I'm smiling under the blanket. I promise.

In the States, I rarely get sick. I attribute this to my childhood days of playing in the mud, finding "free" gum in the grates near my church, and having 4 siblings. Despite this, India has a way of finding my weak spots - not that I've been exactly careful. I eat street food on occasion, let street kids shake my hands, and forget to sanitize after riding the bus (because I'm usually standing and holding onto a communal bar.) Still, it's almost useless to try to figure out what has caused our illnesses. There are so many things here that our immune systems aren't used to that it's almost luck of the draw as to who will get sick next.

There is a definite bright side to getting sick, though. With each bodily battle, I learn a little better how to love and be loved, especially by Eli (who is now more like a sister than a friend, because she knows so much about me haha.) Let me give you a brief illustration. This current virus has been attacking me for 3 days now. It's been pretty awful - all the usual flu/cold/fever symptoms plus a few exciting episodes thrown in to spice the sickness up a bit. Eli has taken care of me through it all. She cautioned me against leaving the room, which I desperately wanted to do a few times, because the temperature outside was over 100 degrees and I had a fever. Instead, she compensated for my lack of mobility and sent an email for me, took pictures of a small "family" celebration I missed, let me keep the room really cold, listened to my complaining, had our brothers at Daily Bread make me a special tea we brought from America, and, without asking, bought me salted biscuits and Sprite.

For those who don't know, a salty cracker (called biscuits in India), eaten with a good swig of Sprite, is an AMAZING combination for an upset stomach. At this moment, I am now munching on such a cracker because it sounded so good. From what Eli told me, it helps the pH balance in your tummy... all I know is that it doesn't make me throw up, unlike the chocolate I tried to eat the other day.

Anyway, getting sick so often has been a good learning experience for me. It has taught me patience with my body, thankfulness for a wonderful companion, and humility, since I have to share every sickness-related episode with someone else. I couldn't have begged God for a better person to be on this trip with, and, while my heart is almost ready to leave India, I'm definitely not ready to leave Elaina yet. She's been such a strong support to me this summer and I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep it together at the airport when we part ways in less than a week (I live in Ypsilanti, Michigan now.)

On that note, please pray for Elaina, that she won't get the virus I have, because that might mean that she'll be sick on the 15 hour flight from Mumbai. Flying is hard as it is, so pray she'll remain healthy throughout the rest of the trip.

Pax,
Heide

3 comments:

  1. This is your anxious mother on her knees... Again. You girls have just about worn me out! My prayers wrap up you both in the last week's preparations. Remember: they don't remember how you started, or how you did in the middle... But they'll always remember how you finished. Finish strong! Love,Love,Love, Mutti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling better Heide! Wellness prayers are headed to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful words Victoria.. Loved it..

    ReplyDelete