Saturday, July 28, 2012

Bus.

Okay. I have 15 minutes to write before going back to work. Let's do this!

A few days ago, I wrote a post that was largely critical of the men in Kolkata, as I have experienced them. While I didn't over exaggerate, I also did not give a full account of how I am treated. At the end of the post, I mentioned how I am absolutely convinced that Jesus lives on the buses here, and so for this post, I want to explain that conviction.

Elaina surprised me on the bus one time... and happened to capture a photo :D

I ride the bus 4 - 8 times a day, for varying lengths. Sometimes the ride is 10 minutes, sometimes 40. No matter the length, every ride is such a beautiful opportunity to both see Christ and be Christ.

One time, on an over crowded (I actually mean OVER CROWDED) ride home at night, I was standing up, hanging on tightly so that I wouldn't fall onto everyone else (it happens). An older gentleman with a beard caught my eye and motioned to his seat, then motioned to the door, implying that I should take his seat because he was about to get off. I smiled, so thankful because I had a bunch of stuff with me and felt super exposed (a full bus = prime goosing time). I began to move toward him. It's a slow process trying to move across a bus that full, so by the time he stood up, I was still a few people away. Like lightning, another man went to sit down, but this elder gentlemen stopped assertively him and pointed to me. The other man nodded and made way for me to crash into the seat. I was sooo thankful. Jesus was looking out for me that night.

Another time, I got on the bus, and like usual, had to stand. A man in his mid 40s looked at me and motioned to the "Ladies" seating which was currently occupied by a young woman and a teenage boy. I shook my head "no, it's okay" because I didn't want to be a hassle. I looked at the other side of the bus, and caught the eye of another man who did the exact same thing. I said "no" again. Then I saw some movement, and the first gentleman was telling the teenager (who clearly didn't want to move) that he needs to get up. He did, so I, despite myself, got to sit down for the long ride. Jesus was at it again.

Those are just two stories of several that I could tell, but I wanted to spend these last minutes telling how God has opened my eyes to ways to serve while standing or sitting on the buses.

First, sometimes I'm reminded to pray for all those people on the bus. Kolkata has millions of people, but for those brief moments, I get to be in contact with 20 - 40 of them at a time, which is a prime opportunity to pray for my brothers and sisters.

Second, I stick out on the bus, because I'm tall, white, blond, and female. Like usual, I get a lot of stares. One of Mother Teresa's big revelations in life was the power of a smile, so when my heart allows me to embrace the awkward stares instead of resent them, I try to smile into the stares... and, because God is so good, sometimes I'm blessed with a beautiful smile back (accompanied by a head bob, of course).

Third, the buses here have been teaching me to look for ways to love outside my comfort zone. If I'm nicely seated, it can be a struggle to offer my seat to someone else who may or may not be in need of it more. Many times, though, God calls me to do just this. While it means a slight sacrifice on my part, most of the time, I'm willing to do it. I admit, though, that I don't always say "yes" to the sacrifice of love... but God teaches me through that as well. :)

Okay. My 15 minutes were up 13 minutes ago... whatevs. It's worth it, just to be able to give you a glimpse of how surprisingly sanctifying and blessed the buses of Kolkata have been for me these past 8 weeks.

Peace to you, my brothers and sisters,
Heide



No comments:

Post a Comment