Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Kiddie Cages and Motorcycles


            If you were able to read Heide’s post yesterday, you already know the conclusion we came to about our blog.  We suck at blogging.  As penance for our infrequent blog posts, Heide and I have agreed to update the blog about something random once a day until we leave.  We greatly appreciate everyone’s love and support and we hope that you enjoy reading about our last couple of weeks!

            That being said, the topic that comes to my mind today is School Transportation.  All of the school children wandering around the streets of India prompted me to think about how I used to get to school as a child.  When I was in elementary school, I would walk with a group of kids and my parents would watch to make sure I made it down the street.  Sometimes I would ride my bike or roller blade, assuming that my helmet was securely fastened.  When I was in middle school, I got an upgrade and a nice big yellow bus would pick me up and take me home.  This is not exactly how it works in India.

            The first time I saw an Indian “School Bus,” I thought it was for transporting criminals.  Or goats. Or something OTHER than small children.  Here are the ingredients: They take a 4’ by 2’ metal cage with bars, stick it on the back of a bicycle, throw some toddlers in, and padlock the back.  A man pedals this contraption through the speed bump and pothole-ridden roads, with children bouncing around in the cage.  If I didn’t know any better, it honestly looks like he is selling them.  Some of these “school buses” look a little more inviting than others.  They are painted bright colors or they say things like “Well Come” on the back.  (What better way to start the school day than an early morning spelling error?)  Plus to top it off, these buses are also quite resourceful.  While the children are at school they are used to transport live chickens - Although I somehow doubt the chickens are headed somewhere as happy as Kindergarten.  



            These cages might sound kind of horrifying but I would much rather my children get to school this way than the alternative – motorcycles.  Children in India must learn at a very young age the meaning of the phrase “Hold on tight.”  Parents often drive their toddlers and young children to school on motorcycles.  It is not uncommon to see a couple of kids up front, and maybe one or two hanging off the back of the motorcycle.  Or sometimes there are two adults and they squish the kids in the middle.  (This appears to be the safer method.)  The adults don’t usually wear helmets and I doubt there is a store in India that sells motorcycle helmets for 4 year olds.  I have to hold my breath and say a little prayer every time I see a little kid weaving in and out of traffic on Daddy’s motorcycle.  I have yet to see an accident, and I hope it remains that way.  For the time being I will be sure to remain extremely thankful for that big yellow bus that I NEVER had to share with poultry.

Elaina 

Yup. There is a child on the back as well.



1 comment:

  1. I am sure you would have seen parents with 3 kids on the bike too.. :)

    ReplyDelete